"Dylann Storm Roof wearing a jacket with the flags of apartheid- called during a period of white rule.
Roof’s Facebook profile picture shows him wearing a jacket decorated with the flags of two former white supremacist regimes:
Witnesses say the gunman stood up and said he was there “to shoot black people,” a law enforcement official said. The shooter is also thought to have used a handgun, according to the official.
A white man opened fire during a prayer meeting inside a historic black church in downtown Charleston on Wednesday night, killing nine people in an assault authorities described as a hate crime.
CAPTURED: Race-hate massacre suspect who 'shot nine people dead' at historic South Carolina black church after telling them 'you're taking over our country' is arrested during traffic stop
- Dylann Roof opened fire at the historic Emanuel AME church in Charleston, South Carolina around 9pm on Wednesday, killing nine people - three male victims and six females
- He fled from the scene but was caught in Shelby, North Carolina on Thursday morning after a member of the public called cops with a report of suspicious activity
- It has emerged that Roof had entered the church around an hour before the shooting and had joined the bible study group before suddenly opening fire
- He let one woman escape so she could tell the world what happened while a child survived by playing dead
- Among the dead is 41-year-old Reverend Clementa Pinckney, pastor of the church and a South Carolina state senator who leaves behind a wife and two young daughters
David A. Thomas, the special agent in charge of F.B.I.’s bureau in Columbia, said Mr. Roof, who is from the